If we had to choose just one Ayurvedic practice to recommend, it might just be tongue scraping.
This simple practice has numerous benefits: It supports good oral health, improves digestion, keeps the immune system strong, enhances the assimilation of nutrients into the body and improves taste!
Along with the benefits listed above, tongue scraping is a great morning ritual because the tongue has acupressure points relating to all the organs so by scraping it you’re subtly stimulating the various systems in the body, activating them for the day ahead.
In Ayurveda, the tongue is used as a map of the body and can tell you a lot about what’s going on which is why ayurvedic wellness pros recommend this as a daily practice.
Before scraping, look at your tongue for clues on imbalances:
- White frothy coating = Excess kapha
- Yellowish or bright red color = Excess pitta (tongue scraping is not recommended if your tongue is raw or bright red)
- Brown/black coating and bitter breath = Excess vata
- Cracks = Excess vata and high stress
- Scalloping or indentation around the sides of the tongue = mal-absorption and nutritional deficiency (tongue scraping will help!)
To get started, grab our March Goddess Provisions Box to receive your own copper tongue scraper (along with other Ayurvedic wellness supplies).
Note: Traditionally copper is used because it’s antiseptic, meaning it won’t collect pathogens while sitting in the bathroom. It’s also antibacterial so won’t disrupt the microbiome in your month.
How to Use a Tongue Scraper:
- Before brushing your teeth, rinse your mouth and tongue scraper with cold water.
- Then, holding each side with both hands, place the curved end at the far back of your tongue, press down gently and pull forward in the center of your tongue.
- Repeat this three times in the same spot, rinsing your tongue scraper with each pull.
- Repeat three more strokes down the ride side of the tongue and another three on the left side.
- Rinse your tongue scraper once more then store it in a clean, dry spot.
What is Ama?
You may notice a white residue coming off the tongue when scraping. This is called ama and is known as toxic build up in the mind-body.
Removing ama from your tongue will:
- Remove odor causing bacteria from your mouth reducing the occurance of bad breath
- Keep you from swallowing toxins
- Uncover taste buds which strengthens signals sent to the digestive system and improves taste
For more daily wellness routines and home remedies to support your unique mind-body type, check out Idiots Guide to Ayurveda by Sahara Rose which you'll find in our March Ayurvedic Wellness Box.