Have you ever experienced the excitement and mystery of geode hunting at home?
Opening a geode and discovering what's inside will give you a little taste of the magic that rock hounds have been enjoying for years.
That's why we included a break at home geode inside our October 2016 Goddess Provisions Box. (You can find more fun items like this our monthly boxes too)!
When cracked open this type of geode typically contains crystalline structures composed of mostly quartz but occasionally you may find some with calcite inside.
It's incredibly important to exercise patience and caution when opening your geode. Please review and follow these directions before trying to open your geode.*
Break at Home Geode Tips
- Put on safety goggles
- Grab a rock pick or a screw driver / chisel and hammer
- Wrap your geode in a sock or cloth
- Set the geode on a concrete surface
- Place the chisel / screw driver in the middle of the geode, and tap it very gently a few times with the hammer. Or tap it gently with a rock pick. Watch your fingers!
- Turn the geode a quarter turn and do this again.
- Continue to move along the circumference of the geode until you see a crack form all the way around, then pull the two halves apart.
Break at Home Geode Videos
*By attempting to open your geode, you are responsible for your own safety and release Goddess Provisions from all liability.